Monthly Archives: March 2014

New research: Decreased serum zinc is an effect of ageing and not Alzheimer’s disease

Some new work from our group has just gone online over at Metallomics. Pinning down the role of zinc in Alzheimer’s disease has long been a challenge to people in the AD field. In 1994, our colleague Ashley Bush found that

Posted in Freshly forged: New research from our lab

From the vault: Elemental bio-imaging of thorium, uranium, and plutonium in tissues from occupationally exposed former nuclear workers

In 2010, with my colleagues at the University of Technology, Sydney and Washington State University (Go Cougars!), I looked into how former workers in the nuclear weapons manufacturing industry had an extra consideration when it came to safety on the job: these folks,

Posted in From the vault: Past research from our people

Roll for Zinc Research

Friend of the blog A/Prof Paul Adlard teamed up over the weekend with Kingsley Just to attempt a new Guinness World Record for the most consecutive rolls completed by an aircraft. Kingsley attempted this feat to help raise money for research

Posted in Metal filings: Odds and ends from around the web

Imagine a world without zinc…

Posted in Metal filings: Odds and ends from around the web

February 28: Linus Pauling Day

February 28th would have been the 113th birthday of Linus Pauling, one of the 20th century’s most noted visionaries, not only in science, but in all of society. Perhaps best thought of as the Richard Feynman of biology, Pauling’s work resulted

Tagged with: ,
Posted in Iron men (and women): Researcher profiles

New research: An iron-dopamine index predicts risk of parkinsonian neurodegeneration in the substantia nigra pars compacta

We’ve just published new work in Chemical Science about how the chemistry of two essential ingredients of our brain stew may be at the very heart of Parkinson’s disease pathology. Iron and dopamine are both necessary for healthy brain function, but are

Posted in Freshly forged: New research from our lab

Welcome to Ferrumblogger!

Around 98% of the human body is made up of carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen and oxygen. This blog is dedicated to the other 2%. Ferrum (Latin for metal) blogger is run by a group of researchers from Australia who study the roles this

Tagged with:
Posted in Irons in the fire: News from our lab